Five half-marathons, four 5k races, three sprint triathlons, two 10k races, and one full marathon. All in one year, and all in memory of someone who never knew she was strong.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thursday Ramblings

Push ups aren't for babies. Not even big grown-up babies.

It has been a super stressful day, so I am just going to babble for a minute or two and then hit the hay.

Got a bridesmaid dress today.  The lady asked what size, and I said 14 and then waited anxiously while she brought it to me.  It could've gone either way; so many times I've asked for that and not even been able to get it zipped, then had to sheepishly ask for bigger.  Today, it slipped right on, fit great and was even a little big. Then the 12 fit, but it was a little shorter, so I  had to go with extra length.  Even though my scale numbers are skewed all over the place this month, my body is starting to feel like it belongs to me again. Even in a full-length purple dress.

Honeycrisp apples are in season and they are amazing.  Go get some right away!  Totally worth the extra couple of dollars a pound. 

Things that are harder for me than for everyone else: 

10 minute miles.  If I run slower, I can run for a long time.  If I run 10 minute miles, I am dead after about three.  BLEH!  I want to be fast SO bad. (and yes, that is fast to me. Sad but true)

Taking my vitamins. I even bought the days-of-the-week organizer.  And I pull it out everyday and then stare at it with disdain. Why do I refuse?  They're right there!  I think it is the dread of fish oil burps that gets me in the end.  Lame!

Getting up in the morning.  I swore I would today, and guess what.  I slept.  And then my husband sweetly took the dogs for a walk before he left because he knew I was kicking myself.  I promised and then didn't do it.  Selfish.

Things that are easier for me than for everyone else:

Reaching things on high shelves.  (Had two ladies ask me to get something for them in a twenty minute grocery trip today. And yes, lately I am so unorganized that I end up at the grocery store like four times a week.)



Today as I was getting into my car, I looked up to see about 250 birds sitting on one electric wire.  All in a row, just hanging out. It occurred me that it might be like bird happy hour when they just sit there like that. The same way a bunch of people sit around after work having a couple drinks, these birds sit in a long row pooping on the ground and chirping about their respective days. The people usually know where to meet because of some email that started circulating the office at about 8:45AM.  I wonder how the birds know where to go.   I am supposed to go to a happy hour tomorrow.  I really want to see these particular friends, but I am afraid of the calories.  I swear, I can never say no at those things. Too many beers and sneaky nachos or wings or some other evil thing.  Cheers to moderation. 

I want to make a list of goals.  I will work on that for tomorrow.  Goals for weight loss and for athletic performance.  Specific goals, you know, instead of just, "I want to lose weight" and "I want to finish this next race without dying"  On this list, I would like to include doing push ups. Real man-style push ups.  I want to do 20.  Right now, I can do zero.  I do wall push ups in the shower each morning, but I can't do one man push up yet, so clearly my big, wet, naked lady wall push ups are doing nothing. (see what Google does with that sentence) I am ready to really crank some out.  Like a man.  And then I will go to the gym and do them in front of everyone.  Every single day.

Pretty sure I got really close to my calorie target today.  Haven't finished adding in my dinner and my afternoon Honeycrisp apple to Calorie King yet, but I feel pretty good.  Seriously, though.  Go get those apples. Tell them I sent you.  

6 comments:

  1. Just so you know ~ I look forward to your posts every day. They make me smile and it's comforting to know all of us (women) struggle, with what seems always something, pretty much our entire lives. Thanks for my daily dose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great! Don't doubt yourself!

    I am with you on the happy hour. I love hanging with my friends at happy hour but they are my undoing. I drink too much and eat too much fried foods and appetizers. I can't do them for awhile or I will mess up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you Kristi/Christi-s are SO nice! :) Christi, you are smart to skip. I always feel so obligated. And I am so busy at work lately that I never get to see the people I care about. The girls tonight are some of my favorite people in the world. I am going to go home first, get my quick run in, walk the dogs, eat a healthy dinner, and then I am going to allow myself one or two glasses of red wine. I think I can do it! I will let you know. :) YOU are doing awesome! you are so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Four trips to grocery store is better than four trips through a fast food line in one week in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right, Mary! I feel much better. :) I told my husband I was just doing it European style, where I go to the market every night and select fresh ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HATE fish oil burps. LOVE being asked to reach for top shelf items at the market. :)

    ReplyDelete