Five half-marathons, four 5k races, three sprint triathlons, two 10k races, and one full marathon. All in one year, and all in memory of someone who never knew she was strong.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Married People Run Faster. Right?

What' new?  Well, here's what's new.  I have one new husband, one new pair of running shoes, one new pair of cycling shoes (and the road rash to match) and one new outlook.

What's not new?  The same old injury.

But alas, not to worry.  Along with the new husband not only comes bliss and happiness, but the ability for me to say buhbye to my old, sad insurance for self-employed people and hello my new fancy insurance for real workers or people married to real workers.  Now if only I could get some of the real work to go with it, life would be a little less hectic right now.  However, the point of it is that I will soon be able to go to a real doctor and figure out how to fix my sad little butt muscle.  In the meantime, though, I am focusing on regaining some of the fitness I lost when I got sucked into wedding planning, getting married, and the aftermath that involved fun travel, confused dogs, a pile of Crate and Barrel boxes just begging to be opened, and sadly, a pair of beat-up Pearl Izumi runners collecting dust on the closet.

I will post race reviews for Bolder Boulder and Girls on the Run 5k this weekend. Sorry for the delay on those.  They were fun races, but like I said, the wedding suddenly took precedence over the blogging at about 40 days out, and that brings us to me playing catch up today.  I apologize for the slacking, and since I am only planning on getting married once, at least only once this year, I am back!!

This morning I went to get my new running shoes at Runner's Roost and couldn't wait to break them in. I waked in, ordered my Synchro Pace III's in an 11 to go and was out the door in 5 minutes flat.  This time I got blue.  I have had pink, grey, and green several times each, but this is my first blue pair.  Maybe they'll be super fast!!

I had not run since Memorial Day, and I was really worried about the fitness I had lost, even though I have still been cycling and hiking and walking a lot and have maintained all of my weight loss thus far.  I decided to just start at the beginning today to see where I was.  I did a 45 minute circuit, running two minutes, then walking two minutes.  I feel really good right now, and the plan is just to continue building on that for the next few weeks until I can assess.  I felt the twinge in my piriformis at first, but it is ok now, and gradually felt better as the circuit progressed.  I have really learned my lesson about pushing it when I'm not ready, and if I have to start over like this, well then, so be it.

On the radar right now, I have the Zooma half Marathon on July 17th in Colorado Springs.  Super worried about this one.  I am also staring a couple of sprint tris in the face.  Those I am not as worried about, simply because I have been on my bike so much while I have been injured.  I will be in the pool and on my bike tomorrow and can't wait for that.  Those are my new favorite workouts since running has become such a literal pain in the butt.  I am just going to sort it all out and if I have to reschedule Zooma, I will.  I know that, above everything, I have to take care of my body.

So, sorry for the babbling. I will be back tomorrow with a more normal post, but in the meantime, that is what's "new"!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! Congratulations! And new shoes always make you faster!

    ReplyDelete