Five half-marathons, four 5k races, three sprint triathlons, two 10k races, and one full marathon. All in one year, and all in memory of someone who never knew she was strong.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Holy S#*%


Ok, it took everything I had not to suck in while these were being taken.  Holding it in is like my body's natural reaction upon seeing a camera.  I'll admit, it's actually quite a bit worse than I thought.  I've been feeling good, but clearly, this is not acceptable.  Back rolls, for godzsake!  So here it is.  While this is not my new official first weigh-in, it is only fair that, if I wish to take this seriously, I put it out there. For someone who has spent the majority of her life covering up, this is kind of freeing and devastating all at the same time.

I am estimating my current weight around 212.  The official number is coming on 11/1.  I probably could have improved this slightly by putting in my contacts, throwing on some mascara, and doing my hair, but looking at this right now, who cares.  It's out there.  I kinda feel a little sad right now, but happy that I am continuing to work at this. I also feel like, no wonder I'm so damn slow at running; I'm dragging this giant girl around with me!

By January 9, I will have completed a marathon and will be 20 pounds lighter.  Then I'm going to keep on going.  By the end, maybe I'll be able to wear those shorts in public.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! - you've got guts and I fully believe that you'll see your plan through. Don't get down on yourself when you hit plateau's and don't loose as much as you want though. Everyone loses weight slightly differently just as different people need different nutrition (definitely don't expect biggest loser results unless you are doing fat loss only full time under the guidance of trainer and doctor). Also with training, you may trade some fat for muscle. Go by measurements and pictures rather than completely by weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara! You are brave and inspirational. You've got drive, girl. I've got no doubt you can accomplish what you're setting out to. "Make a plan and stick to it." :) Green will guide you through this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and p.s. protein, protein, protein. It really helps you not feel so hungry even when your calorie intake is lower than normal. Greek yogurt has a ton, and so do cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlfriend you are awesome! You have put the pics out there and you are going to rock all your goals.

    "Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner"- Les Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome and brave for putting it out there. You will be so proud when you look back at your "Before" photos and compare them to the "After".

    Go, Cara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found my way here thru Christi's blog. Fun to see all the same race's we've done this year. I struggle with my weight all the time and have recently lost a bit. You can do it and you will do it. And you will love how much easier the running gets with every pound! Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, everyone. This was way harder than I thought it would be. But it is nice to have a new starting point. I will be following all of you guys, too! We will all accomplish our goals together! :)

    Love that quote, Christi! It is so true. I am going to pin that to my wall.

    Julie- We have done a ton of the same races! How much do we rock? :)

    ReplyDelete