Five half-marathons, four 5k races, three sprint triathlons, two 10k races, and one full marathon. All in one year, and all in memory of someone who never knew she was strong.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Circus Mirrors and Other Tools of the Trade

This has been a great training week so far, and I am feeling really in tune with my schedule.  Tomorrow is already another weigh-in day, but I made the mistake of hopping on the scale this morning.  Of course, the number was basically the same as it was last Friday, so I am sitting here annoyed.  I don't know why I do that to myself.  Tomorrow's number can only be better.  Right?

I am still waiting to hear back from Google on the status of the ads for my site.  I'm not sure why they haven't shown up yet.  I am really excited to get them off and moving, but I guess I will just have to wait until they give me the go-ahead.

I was at the gym yesterday and caught a glimpse of myself in the giant wall of mirrors adjacent to the cardio area.  I was shocked to see that I appeared much larger than I had when I left the house.  My best friend joked that it is because they use shortening, fattening circus mirrors at the gym in an attempt to scare you into forking over money for personal training.  I am sure that isn't the case.  But still, it is such a kick in the gut sometimes when I leave the house feeling like I look athletic and healthy in my workout clothes and then catch a glimpse of myself and realize that I was mistaken, that no matter how healthy I feel at this very moment, I still have a ton of work to do.  It is frustrating and motivating at the same time.  I do have to say, though, that I talked myself out of the negativity by thinking, "ok, well, I am still a big girl, but I'm pretty sure no one else my size in this room could have just cranked out the miles and intervals I just did"  It worked just long enough to get me out from in front of those mirrors.

Thursdays are my favorite "rest" days of the week.  I have an official rest day on Sundays when I do not work out, but Thursday is a no-run day, so I take a 3-mile walk with my dog and then wait for Mike to get home so we can do the 30-Day Shred together.  It is a nice change of pace from pushing so hard.  Although, when all is said and done, I still manage to call Jillian Michaels a name or two.  In her videos, she always says, "a couple more", and then she starts talking about some benefit or tip while you are still doing reps.  Before you know it, her "couple more" have turned into ten more.  At that point I start screeching, "Shut up, lady.  Quit your freaking talking and release me from this plank!" It's very beneficial for my abs and also let's me release some of my aggression.  If anyone can take it, I'm sure Jillian Michaels can.

My wedding dress is supposed to be in this week, and I am excited and dreading it at the same time.  When I ordered it, I swore I was going to drop 20 pounds before it came in.  I did not do that.  So, now, the goal is to just focus on what I am doing right now, and the dress part will fall into place.  It is suddenly not as important now that I have found a real purpose with all of this.  Right now, I am more excited about my new shoes on their way than I am about my new dress.  Is that wrong? Maybe I'll rock my Pearl Izumis down the aisle.  :)

Anyway, that is what's going on in my world today.  The sun just came out, so I am going to grab Mister Blue's leash and go out and enjoy it.  Tomorrow's training plan is just a straight 3 miles.  I am going to aim for 30 minutes and see how I do.  I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment